Monday, January 10, 2011

Getting Settled

Today is my second full day in Edinburgh, and so far everything has been fantastic.

I'm living in a nice little flat that I share with three other girls, one from Singapore, one from Spain, and one from Leeds. They've all been here for a semester already. Apparently University accommodation is mostly first-years and foreign students, so I've met quite a few people from all over the place.

I decided last night that I'm going to put aside (semi)vegetarianism while I'm here, in the interest of trying the local cuisine. My flat is conveniently located near a ton of fast food places, and as I learned last night, Scottish fast food is really something. I'm not talking about McDonalds and the like. The place I went last night, for example, was a fish and chips shop where you can also get various different meat pies, deep-fried pizza (!!!), and a whole assortment of different fried things. Most things also come with chips. Apparently the prevalence of fried foods and whatnot has led to a significant obesity problem in Scotland (at least I won't have to be ashamed of American cuisine here), which seemed pretty understandable when I was halfway through my Scotch pie (called "mince pie" here, but different from mince pies elsewhere in the UK) and chips. Still, it was damn tasty, even if I did feel like exploding afterward.

I had my first lecture today - Architectural History 2b: Culture and the City. I think it's going to be a very interesting course. In addition to the large lecture that meets twice a week, we also have smaller tutorial classes that meet once a week, though tutorials don't start until next week.

I got to explore a lot of the city today when I got lost on the way to the Registry Office. What should have been a two-minute walk turned into about an hour. However, it was nice getting to see more of the city, and I probably worked off some of last night's pie and chips. Plus I got to see neat stuff like this:
Moo.

I did get myself a handy little map of Edinburgh, so hopefully I'll have an easier time finding my way around in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment