Monday, January 24, 2011

Upcoming Whisky Trip and Impending Burns Night

For everyone who's been waiting to hear about the whisky situation over here, I have good news! I'm going to whisky distillery this Saturday!  

The International Student Centre (ISC) organizes these trips every weekend, to different places around Scotland. This weekend is a trip to a whisky distillery in Aberfeldy. I had to wait in line for about an hour and a half to get my ticket. There were only 98 spots available, and demand was high (as you'd expect), so people started queueing at least an hour before the office even opened. But I waited stoically, and managed to successfully purchase a ticket, so this weekend I'll be able to report back on whisky (the making and consumption) as well as the town of Aberfeldy. Since arriving, I have not tried any whisky, nor have I left Edinburgh, so this trip will be an exciting adventure!

Speaking of Scottish things, tomorrow is Burns Night! Burns Night, if you're unfamiliar (and if you are familiar, please pardon any gross inaccuracies) is a national celebration (and something of an unofficial national day) in honor of the Scottish poet Robert Burns, observed on Burns' birthday (January 25).

I don't know a whole lot about Robert Burns or his poetry, except that he was an 18th century Romantic poet, he wrote in Scots, he's a Scottish national icon, and he wrote Auld Lang Syne (you know, that song that always gets played at New Year's). However, from what I can tell, Burns Night seems to be almost as much a celebration of Scottish cuisine as it is of Robert Burns. Haggis features prominently, and Burns' poem titled Address to Haggis is recited.

However, this is all secondhand information, based on what I've been told and what I've read (thanks, Wikipedia!). I'm hoping to gain some firsthand knowledge of the event tomorrow. I neglected to make any plans in advance (the 25th seemed so far off until today), but I'm going to try to figure something out within the next 24 hours or so. I know a number of the pubs around here are doing something for Burns Night, so that's one option. Anyway, I'll figure out something!

No comments:

Post a Comment